Music Licensing Attorney

Licensing Contract Drafting / Negotiation

There are many types of music licenses.  One of the most common types is the sync license (short for “synchronization license”), which is generally sought by film and TV producers whenever they want a particular song to appear in a movie or TV show.  Have you ever wondered why you don’t hear too many Beatles songs in movies?  It’s because they are very expensive to license, and without securing proper sync licenses the movie producers would be sued for copyright infringement.  Another type of license is a grand rights license, which applies to musicals and dramatic plays containing music.  When a composer is hired to write music for a musical or play, the producers need to negotiate a deal that usually includes the payment of back-end royalties.  When it comes to sync licenses and grand rights licenses, or any type of license for that matter, it is important that you have an attorney that understands the ins and outs of those deals and what is at stake.  Kamal Moo, partner at Johnson & Moo, has negotiated and drafted several types of licensing agreements and has the experience to help you secure the best deal possible.  Please do not hesitate to contact us if you have any questions.

Also of interest: